Welcome to Bury CE Primary School

Bury C E (A) Primary School

As staff and Governors we take great pride in our school and we are committed to providing a happy, secure and purposeful environment where our children can learn successfully and develop fully. We have an 'open school' policy and welcome everyone to visit us and see us "in action".  We particularly value the partnership between child, home and school and our flourishing Friends of Bury School (FoBS) gives everyone in the community the opportunity to become involved in school life.

 

 

We look forward to meeting you and working with you - please do not hesitate to contact the School Office to arrange an appointment to visit or to ask any questions you may have.

 

     

 

The past……… and future

 

Bury School was founded in about 1845 on land in Bury High Street and built by the generosity of Lady Olivia Bernard Sparrow. An entry in the Hunts. Gazeteer (dated 1854) states: "Small mixed school in parish, supported by Lady O. B. Sparrow at whose expense the pretty little school house was built.  Catherine McCrobie is the mistress".

 

 In 1970 it was rebuilt with two classrooms, a hall, offices and a kitchen facilities on its present site, following a successful lobby against its proposed closure in 1966 due to low pupil numbers.

 

 The school opened its new doors on 5th January 1971 and had 69 pupils on roll.   Almost immediately a third classroom was needed as pupil numbers rose in line with a general local trend and in the following years two further mobile classrooms were added.

 

 During the early 1990's we again outgrew our accommodation and an extensive building programme commenced in September 1992.  This was completed during the following Summer and the new extension, providing a second larger hall, two further classrooms, office and an updated kitchen, was dedicated by The Bishop of Huntingdon on the 18th. October 1993.  

 

During the academic year 2003-2004 we were fortunate to have had a two classroom extension, new office and extensive work outside completed. 

This is the front of our school. In the foreground (terracotta mobile) is the kitchen which the children use to create cookery masterpieces! It was provided by the Friends of Bury School (FoBS) who are an active group of parents, and others, who undertake fundraising and other activities to support the work of the school. The main buildings (in the background) date from 1967 - now Key Stage 1 and resource library - and 1993.
This last extension provided the school with a new hall, classrooms for Years 5 and 6 and an administrative block. We have also replaced our two mobiles with permanent classrooms and there is also a corridor which by-passes the hall, and office accommodation.
This is the view from the school looking towards Bury Church. Our school is a Church of England Aided Primary and has strong links with Bury Church which holds one Sunday morning Service at school each month.
This is part of our library resource room. It was originally the school hall but now it provides an excellent base for Key Stage work and research.
 
Powered by schools.ik.org an Internet Kit Ltd service